2021 Webinar: Skyline and Logging Safety Workshop
End Date: April 27, 2021
All times listed: US Pacific Standard
April 20, 2021
8:00 – 8:15 Workshop Introductions and Overview
8:15 – 10:00 Unit Layout – How to layout a unit
- Different levels of harvest planning
- What is successful skyline harvesting?
- Review cable systems and skyline carriages
- Unstable steep slopes
10:00 – 10:15 Break
10:15 – 11:45 Payload, Productivity and Efficiency
- Skyline deflection – Safe working Loads
- Factors that influence productivity
- Wire rope characteristics
- Variables affecting skyline deflection
11:45 – 12:45 Open Session for Questions
April 22, 2021
8:00 – 10:30 Skyline Logging Landings
- How landing layout affects productivity
- Wood flow through the landing
- Yarder guylines
- Stump anchors
- Multi-stump anchors
- Machine anchors
10:30 – 10:45 Break
10:45 – 11:30 Rigging Tail and Intermediate Trees
- When and where to use
- Design and layout
- Model demonstration
- Field cards for unit layout
11:30 – 12:00 SkylineXL
- Introduction to SkylineXL
- Determining Skyline Payloads
12:00 – 1:00 Open Session for Questions
April 27, 2021
8:00 – 9:30 Logging Safety
- What unit layout can do for unit safety
- Review of major watch-out situations
9:30 – 10:00 Break
10:00 – 11:30 Tethered Assist
- A game changer for logging safety?
11:30 – 12:30 Open Session for Questions
About the Instructor
Jeff Wimer currently works as a senior instructor at Oregon State University where he manages the Student Logging Program. Prior to OSU he worked for his family’s logging and trucking company in Albany, OR. Wimer Logging Co. ran 4 tower sides and had 48 trucks. Jeff serves as chairman of the Western Regional Council on Forest Engineering, is past President of the Oregon Logging Conference and the Pacific Logging Congress. He serves on the OR OSHA forest activities code committee.
The registration fee is $175.
Cancellations received by April 12, 2021 are subject to a 15% service charge. Cancellations received after that time will be charged the entire registration fee, but substitutions are always welcome.
SAF CFE Credits:
Workshop attendees will be eligible for 13 CAT 1 SAF CFE credits.