2020 Intermountain Forestry Cooperative Annual Meeting
End Date: March 25, 2020
Location: Moscow, ID
March 24th, All Day (Technical Meeting)
“40th Anniversary of the Intermountain Forestry Cooperative”
Click here to download a PDF of the IFC agenda.
7:30 – 8:00 Registration – Check-in
8:00 – 8:10 Welcome and Housekeeping Items
8:10 – 8:50 James A. Moore Keynote Address: The History and Importance of Integrating “Innovation” in to Forging Successful Forestry Businesses – David New, Growing Excellence Inc., Biosketch-New
8:50 – 9:20 Regional Spotlight Series: It’s Not All About Research: Mechanics of a Successful Applied Biometrics Program – Nathaniel Osborne, Rayonier, Biosketch-Osborne
9:20 – 9:40 Break
9:40 – 10:10 Harvesting and chemical site-prep effects on site productivity – 5 & 10 Year results from the Nutrient Management Study – Terry Shaw, IFC
10:10 – 10:40 Machine learning to optimize stand density as a function of management objectives and site resources – Ryan Heiderman, IFC
10:40 – 11:00 Break
11:00 – 11:30 Paired Plot Density Management: DF/PP 4 & 6 Yr growth & mortality – Mark Kimsey, IFC
11:30 – 12:00 Assessing tree vigor and stand health following thinning treatments in dry pine forests – Nancy Grulke, USDA FS PNW Research Station
12:00 – 1:30 Lunch (on your own)
1:30 – 2:00 Assessing airborne laser scanning for support of forestry applications (remote) – Matthew Sumnall, Senior Researcher, Forest Resources & Envi. Cons., Virginia Tech
2:00 – 2:30 A nonparametric approach for estimating forest productivity – Halli Hemingway, FBRI Scholar, Bennett Lumber Products, Inc.
2:30 – 3:00 Break
3:00 – 3:30 Identification and modeling of key variables to reforestation success – Cen Chen, CAFS Post-Doctoral Scholar, University of Maine-PotlatchDeltic
3:30 – 4:00 Nonparametric modeling of site preparation effects on early stand growth rates – Patrick Whalen, FBRI Scholar, Inland Empire Paper Company
4:00 Meeting wrap-up
March 25th (Steering Committee Meeting)
8:00 – 2:00 (for Steering Committee Members Only)
- Technical Meeting (3/24/20): Moscow, ID, Best Western Plus University Inn – Empire/Palouse Room. Click here to download a PDF of the IFC agenda.
- Steering Committee Meeting (3/25/20): Moscow, ID, University of Idaho, College of Natural Resources, Room 200
- IFC Member/Student – No registration fee
* There is no registration fee (in-person or online) for students or those employed by the following organizations: Bennett Lumber, Bureau of Land Management, Hancock Forest Management, Idaho Department of Lands, Inland Empire Paper, Molpus Timberlands, PotlatchDeltic, Stimson Lumber, United States Forest Service, Washington Department of Natural Resources.
- Non-member: In-person - $50, Online** - $25
** For those who are unable to attend in person, we will be streaming the meeting online and will also video record the meeting for later posting to our website. An online meeting link will be posted to the IFC website .
Best Western Plus University Inn - Moscow
For overnight accommodations, a guest room block is being held at the Best Western Plus University Inn, 1516 Pullman Rd, Moscow, ID 83843. The guest room block is being held until March 1, 2020. Prior to that date, please call 208-882-0550/800-325-8765 and mention the Intermountain Forestry Cooperative. Please call directly as travel websites and the general Best Western International reservations site will not have information regarding the group rate.