Case Studies in Timber Finance and Forest Industry Capital Investment:
Strengthen your strategic and investment decision-making skills.
January 18, 2017
Heathman Lodge, Vancouver, WA
Optional workshop, separate registration
What is the Course About?
This course reviews key forest finance, market analysis and strategy tools and applies these to hands-on case studies to reinforce concepts and improve decision making related to forest management, capital budgeting and competitive analysis. The content is ideal for anyone tasked with managing or supporting assets, budgets, forecasts, investments or capital allocation related to timberland or wood-using mills. The case studies include introductory materials along with group exercises and discussion. All materials provided.
Course Outline and Topics
10:00 am – 4:00 pm (5 instruction hours)
- Core Concepts: Physical Facts and Forest Industry Economics (30 min)
- Forest Finance (90 min)
- Case One: Evaluating Silviculture (Forest Management) Investments (ROI)
- Forest Industry Market Analysis (90 min)
- Case Two: Risk Analysis and Screening of Forest Industry Mills and Announcements
- Forest Strategy and Relative Competitiveness (75 min)
- Case Three: SWOT Analysis and the Ability-to-Pay for Wood
- Key Messages: Forest Industry Realities (15 min)
This workshop is an optional offering and is not included with the Mapping the Course 1/19/17 registration. The registration fee for the 1/18/17 session is $425 on or before 12/16/16 or $525 after 12/16/16 and includes reference materials and lunch.
About the Instructor and Forisk
Dr. Brooks Mendell leads Forisk’s research program. His experience includes roles in forestry operations with Weyerhaeuser, in forest industry consulting with Accenture, and in academia. He studies wood demand and procurement, forest finance and business strategy. His forestry-related books include “Loving Trees is Not Enough”, “Forest Finance Simplified”, “Wood for Bioenergy” (co-authored with Amanda Lang) and Aunt Fanny Learns Forestry: Managing Timberland as an Investment. Brooks earned B.S. and M.S. degrees at M.I.T., an MBA at UC Berkeley, and a Ph.D. in Forest Finance at the University of Georgia.
Forisk is a timber market research firm that delivers forecasts and analysis of forest industry markets and timberland investments. Firms participate in Forisk’s research program by subscribing to the Forisk Research Quarterly (FRQ). All Forisk researchers have direct forest industry and market analysis experience. This includes work in wood procurement, forest finance, forest operations, and timber market forecasting.
Feedback from Previous WFCA Courses Instructed by Dr. Brooks Mendell
- Great information presented in a useful way. Very applicable to our industry.
- Most impressive was Brooks Mendell. He is very good at keeping the attention of the students with interesting illustrations and examples of concepts taught.
- Flowed well, great job presenting
- Intelligent, articulate, well-prepared speaker
- I rank this workshop 5 stars out of 5 stars…!