2022 Scaling for Non-Scalers
Location: Grand Mound, WA
Thursday, November 17, 2022
9:00 What does a log scaler do?
- How scalers fit into the log transaction process (only measure volume, not value)
- What is their relationship to log buyers and sellers?
- The different points in log transport where scaling can occur
- What is log volume and how is it calculated?
- What are the specific measurements and data collected on a typical log?
- Log documentation
- Understanding gross and net volume
- Why did my load scale out at a lesser volume? Reasons for volume deductions
9:30 am Scaling Bureaus: How they operate and their role in log markets
- How bureaus fit into the log buying and selling process
- Represent both the log buyers and sellers
- Apply log scaling rules
- Provide qualified scalers
- Serve as independent third parties
11:00 Northwest Log Scaling Rules: Applying uniformity and standardization within the Doug-fir processing area
- Function and role of the rules
Special Requests: Using procedures in addition to the NW log scaling rules
11:30 Scaling logs on trucks
Noon Lunch (included with registration)
1:00 pm Understanding log grades and sorts
- What is the difference between grades and sorts?
- Why do sorts vary from company to company?
- What is the difference between a good #2 sawlog and a rough #2 sawlog?
- What is the pulp sort?
- What is a cull?
2:15 Log accountability: Tracking the log load from landing to mill
- How is data collected? Load receipts, weight reports, sample scales, sample expansion, log tags, scale tickets and certificates
- Understanding the paperwork: Examples will be provided of load receipts, scale tickets and certificates and each form will be reviewed in detail.
- What are the standard procedures for documentation and changes?
- How is the data stored, disseminated and accessed by clients?
3:45 Catch-all short topics
- Miscellaneous Topics
- Understanding cubic measurements
- Volume conversion factors
- Using taper factors and actual taper
- Scaler value and cost
- Difference between westside and eastside scaling
4:15 pm Workshop Adjourns