March 10, 2016
10:00 Background on Carbon Projects – Dave Walters, Landvest, Eugene, OR
• What are the various types of carbon projects? What are the options when selecting a carbon project?
• How are carbon projects structured and what are the protocol requirements? What is necessary to bring a project to the marketplace?
• Overview of the US carbon marketplace. Where are existing carbon projects, what is their scale and sale price?
• Opportunities and tradeoffs in managing private timberlands for carbon.
11:00 Carbon Project Development Timeline and Key Steps – Dave Walters
• Scoping: Is the project worth spending money on?
• Information Gathering: What kinds of information are required by the project protocols?
• Analysis: What type of analysis is needed to validate the project?
• Submission and Processing: How to prepare a project for the marketplace.
1:15 The Carbon Inventory: What does your inventory need to look like? – Dave Walters
• Project Requirements: Building an inventory system to match project protocol requirements. Measuring biomass instead of board feet.
• Design Considerations: What type of plots, how many and where, what do you need to measure, and what information needs to be collected.
• Processing: Calculating biomass using project protocol requisites.
• Documentation: Doing what you say you will do and recording every step.
3:15 Growth and Yield Modelling: Modelling your forest out 100 years – Dave Walters
• Project Requirements: Modeling and projection conditions for submitting your project.
• Which model to use: Review of approved models and alternatives.
March 11, 2016
8:30 Growth and Yield Modelling, Continued
• What do you need the model to do? It is not your typical analysis.
• Pros and cons of approved models.
• Documentation for verification
10:15 Harvest Scheduling – Dave Walters
• Merging your regular business model with long planning horizons.
• Approaches and tools for scheduling
1:15 Forest Carbon Verification: Lessons Learned From the Verification of Over 50 million Tonnes – Zane Haxtema, Senior Verification Forester, SCS Global Services, Seattle, WA
2:00 Legal Considerations and Potential Pitfalls When Developing a Carbon Project – Greg Fullem, Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, Portland, OR
3:15 Recap and Take Home Messages